1. The reason parenting will always require direction and discipline is that children have no sense for delaying gratification.
2. People require external motivation because people prioritize satisfaction by how quickly it can be obtained and not by how strong it will be in time.
3. People do not serve their own best interests or even pleasure because people want quick gratification rather than greater gratification from waiting.
4. The reason that a bad form of government is better than no form of government is that people are oriented to instant gratification and not delayed gratification.
5. The reason people will continue to do wrong is that their satisfaction calculator is based on the nearness of completion, not strength of satisfaction based on time.