Scenario: You are asked by a parent if their small child will grow out of a debilitating condition or if the condition is genetic and the family will have to learn to live with it. You are not certain the problem is genetic but all indications are that it is genetic in nature.
• Do you stick to the facts and disappoint and discourage the parent?
• Do you choose to show kindness by saying that you hope the child will grow out of it?
• Do you try to imply that it is genetic without taking away all hope that it is only developmental?
• Is it more important to not take away hope and to give a person time to adjust to a situation or is it more important to be direct and honest to a fault?
• Does the situation vary depending on if you are a family member, friend, or treating medical professional?