Part 1 of the 4 Parts of the 12 Steps of Anger
• Breathe will teach you how to relax and regain self-control in just 4 seconds.
“Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.” —Psalms 37:8
“Whoever grows angry amid troubles applies a drug worse than the disease and is a physician unskilled about misfortunes.” —Sophocles
12 STEPS WITH MINIMAL EXAMPLE
- BAD HAPPENS: I notice bad things.
- DEIFY SELF: I know better than myself.
- EGO PLEASURE: Positive self-esteem (pride).
- BLAME SELF: I should have known better.
- DEMONIZE SELF: I know worse than others.
- EGO PAIN: Negative self-esteem (depression).
- ANGER DEFENDS: I get mad at others.
- DEIFY SELF: I know better than others.
- EGO PLEASURE: Positive self-esteem (conceit).
- BLAME OTHERS: They should know better.
- DEMONIZE OTHERS: Others know worse
- DEMAND CHANGE: They must know better.
Stop deifying and demonizing yourself and you will stop deifying and demonizing others. Psychological problems start with pride about claims to know.
- Twelve Steps of Reacting: page 2 of 4 Detail
- Twelve Steps of Reacting: page 3 Example Simple
- Twelve Steps of Reacting: page 4 Example Formal
- Long version of adding shit to shit.
- Short version of adding shit to shit.
- STPHFR for understanding your anger.
QUOTATIONS VARIOUS SOURCES
“A man has no more character than he can command in a time of crisis.”–Ralph W. Sockman
“Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, until thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.”–Matthew 5:25-26
“Avoid all wrath.”–Pythagoras
“Be careful of anger–it’s just one letter away from danger.”–Anonymous
“Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.”–Ecclesiastes 7:9
“Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand.”–Baruch Spinoza
“He who angers you conquers you.”–Elizabeth Kenny
“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.”–Buddha
“If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will avoid one hundred days of sorrow.”–Chinese proverb
“Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness.”–James Thurber
“To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.”–Confucius
“To disagree, one doesn’t have to be disagreeable.”–Barry Goldwater
“Trusting anger gets you into the problem and trusting pride keeps you in it.”–Kevin Everett FitzMaurice