Stimulation Is Motivation Even for Stimulation
- Garbage Rules will prod you to face your self-defeating thinking that’s keeping you addicted.
- Ego will help you to understand and overcome the underlying problem in your addiction.
- We seek stimulation because stimulation is our reward.
- We move through life from stimulation to stimulation.
- Stimulation makes us feel alive.
DEGREES OF STIMULATION
- Disintegration is the strongest form of stimulation.
- We can enjoy the disintegration of people, places, and things using the pride of ego that it is not ourselves that is being disintegrated.
- Material things naturally tend toward disintegration or death including ego, self-esteem, and human nature.
- Stimulation is not the problem or bad, it is how you do it and get it that is either good or bad.
REPLACE STIMULATION WITH STIMULATION
We use one stimulation to replace another stimulation.
Usually, we replace a negative stimulation with a positive stimulation.
- Hunger is a negative stimulation that is replaced by the stimulation of eating good food.
- Thirst is a negative stimulation that is overcome by the stimulation of drinking water.
OVERWHELM OR OVERCOME ONE STIMULATION WITH ANOTHER
While this is similar to replacing one stimulation with another, it is also quite different.
We use one stimulation to overpower another.
- To overwhelm the stimulation of anxiety or depression, some people overeat or over shop.
- To overwhelm the stimulation of anxiety or depression, some people over drink alcohol, use drugs, or over sex.
ESCAPE OR AVOID ONE STIMULATION WITH ANOTHER
While this is similar to overwhelming one stimulation with another, it is also quite different.
We use one stimulation to erase all stimulation.
- Consider self-hate as a disintegrating stimulation that a person might want to escape or avoid.
- Using the tools of addicts, you can drink or drug yourself into oblivion so that you do not think about or feel the pain of self-hate. This is not overwhelming one stimulation with another, this is annihilating one stimulation with another.
- Addicts often report blanking out, losing time, forgetting where they were and what they did, don’t know how they wound up in a different city, etc., because they went blank or numb, fell asleep, or passed out.
FOUR CHOICES FOR STIMULATIONS
- Increase them by repeating them.
- Replace them with other ones.
- Overwhelm one set with another set.
- Escape or avoid one set with another set.
- Simulation causes imbalance.
- Life seeks balance or homeostasis.
- Pain follows pleasure and pleasure follows pain in an endless cycle.
- Extremes are often used to rebalance from another extreme.
- One stimulation can oppose another until both are in balance.
- Stimulations become harder to find because they body adjusts to them for a new balance.
For more on homeostasis and its ruling powers, see Stress for Success, Second Edition.
STIMULATION & IDENTITY
- When you are your true self, then stimulation comes and goes and there is no fighting or trying to claim stimulations.
- When you are identified with a stimulation, then conflict and problems ensue and soon you are fighting one stimulation with another.
- While the body naturally identifies with the stimulations it is aware of, the self does not have to.
- The vessel nature of self is neutral such that homeostasis is a constant.
STIMULATION RELATED TERMS
anger, anxiety, arguments, conflict, crime, cynicism, dark, deception, defibrillator, demands, drama, dramatization, entertainment, exaggeration, excite, exciting, fights, fire and brimstone, GAADSAP, games, gossip, guilt, horror, lying, mystery, news, novelty, originality, panic, politics, rebellion, resistance, scandals, shame, shock, shock news, shock theater, shock treatment, shock value, shocking sex, shoulds, suspense, threats, war, zap