Being the Container Versus Being the Contents
- Ego will help you to recognize, remove, and replace your ego: a.k.a. self-esteem.
“Our mind is like a clear glass of water. If you put salt into the water, it becomes salt water; sugar it becomes sugar water; shit it becomes shit water. But originally the water is clear. No thinking, no mind. No mind, no problem.” —Seung Sahn
“To be poured into without becoming full, and to pour out without becoming empty, without knowing how this is brought about—this is the case of ‘Containing the Light.’” —Chung Tzu
“We are sort of a mirror, and mirror only inside us, in our nervous system, what is going on outside of our nervous system.” —Alfred Korzybski
Container or Contents?
“Meditation is to dive all the way within, beyond thought, to the source of thought and pure consciousness. It enlarges the container, every time you transcend. When you come out, you come out refreshed, filled with energy and enthusiasm for life.” —David Lynch
- The container is not the contents of the container.
- Change the contents, and you do not change the container.
- Contents may destroy the container, but contents can never be the container.
- Self is not knowing the contents of the mind.
- Self is not doing the contents of the mind.
- Self is not being the contents of the mind.
- Self is hosting the contents knowing in the mind.
- Self is hosting the contents doing in the mind.
- Self is hosting the contents being in the mind.
- Self is the container, not the contents.
- Self hosts knowing.
- Self hosts doing.
- Self hosts being.
- Self is the host, not the hosted.
- Self knows the hosting, not the hosted.
- Self does the hosting, not the hosted.
- Self is the hosting, not the hosted.
Piano & Guitar
Self is like a piano or a guitar—
- self is available to transmit (make) music (thought),
- but self, like the guitar, is neither the music nor the intelligence behind the music.
Self is an enabler for sensation, feeling, thought, and energy.
- Self is that which is moved upon, not the verbal, sensation, and energy movements themselves.
- Self is no more the movements on its surface (thoughts) than the ocean is the movements on its surface (waves).
Self Is a Living Heart, Soul, & Mind
Quotations from Various Sources
“Do not wish to be anything but what you are.” —Saint Francis de Sales
“I am the riverbank and neither the river nor the boats on the river.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“Man is never so authentically himself as when at play.” —Friedrich von Schiller, 1759-1805
“My only right doing is to have faith in God’s doing.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“My only right doing is to host God’s doing.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“My only right doing is to rely on God’s doing.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“My only right doing is to serve God’s doing.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“My only right doing is to trust God’s doing.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“My only right doing is to wait on God’s doing.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“Nobody is so miserable as he who longs to be somebody other than the person he is.” —Angelo Patri
“Psychological doing is the problem, and psychological hosting is the solution.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“There is always a certain peace in being what one is, in being that completely.” —Ugo Betti
“Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.” —Genesis 9:6
“You never exist quite so much as when you are not thinking.” —Friedrich Nietzsche, 1844-1900, German philosopher