Continuum Knowledge: A Knowledge System Without Opposites
- We’re All Insane! Second Edition will teach you how to think better and saner.
“The magic move it to take the neutral position while supporting the positive position.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“The magic question is, ‘What is the neutral position?’” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
Duality of Opposites Is Necessary
The duality of opposites is necessary for such systems as knowledge, measurement, mathematics, science, electronics, electricity, and language. For instance, you define high in contrast to low. For example, you measure literacy compared to illiteracy.
- The duality of opposites is also used by problems and problematic systems such as ego, pride, hate, racism, intolerance, bigotry, nationalism, self-esteem, and self-talk.
- However, the duality of opposites easily and frequently ignores the necessary space in-between that is neutral. (See Triality: Move Beyond Duality.)
Duality of Opposites Escaped
The duality of opposites can be escaped by practicing mild, variable, or vague dualism or even non-dualism. For instance, you can practice gratitude, forgiveness, tolerance, non-judging, unconditional acceptance, viewing things as unimportant, or by practicing an oneness perspective (viewing all things as one or non-dualistically).
- Such practices are often recommended when one has psychological problems because mental problems are invariably maintained by severe or extreme opposites (see Beck’s thinking errors).
- However, the duality of opposites is best escaped by upgrading your thinking to triality. (See Triality: Move Beyond Duality.)
Continuum Knowledge (Duality of One)
What is not commonly recognized or understood is that there exists an entirely different knowledge system from the dualism of opposites. This knowledge system Kevin Everett FitzMaurice has named “Continuum Knowledge.” This is a form of knowledge that exists as an alternative to any dualism system that consists of opposites of knowledge or measurement.
- Continuum Knowledge uses one principle and follows that one principle from its beginning form to its mature form along a continuum of forms.
- The continuum can have as many points in-between the two ends as you are able to find, name, or locate.
- You can also generate measurements on a continuum by comparing something’s beginning and endpoints; for example, you can measure empathy based on the degree and/or the generalization of empathy.
- No opposite to empathy is required for such measurements or comparisons.
Continuum Knowledge still uses duality as must all knowledge. However, Continuum Knowledge uses a duality between one principle rather than a duality between two opposite principles. A duality for one concept, value, or principle is what forms the continuum. A duality of one (a continuum) will be formed by discriminating between features of the same value such as beginning and end, lowest and highest, nascent and fully formed, beginner and master, or primitive and advanced.
5 Thinking Positions
- The 5 Thinking Positions provides an easy way to develop continuum knowledge.
- Using The 5 Thinking Positions, you can easily develop five positions on a continuum for any one variable, principle, or value to be delineated.
- From those five positions, you can then use the same 5 Thinking Positions to develop another five positions for each point and so forth and so on until you have as detailed and extensive a continuum as you desire.
Continuum Knowledge Invalidates Platitudes
- Continuum Knowledge invalidates many common understandings of the necessity for a duality of opposites. For example, you do not need to have evil to know good. You can know good, better good, greater good, higher good, and the greatest good. By using Continuum Knowledge, you can know good without knowing evil.
- Of course, then you have to give up platitudes such as “You cannot know happiness without sorrow.” Because you can know happiness, better happiness, greater happiness, higher happiness, and the greatest happiness.
- You can then cycle along that same continuum forever without finding all of its points or becoming bored with it.
- The continuum provides enough variation and potential that no opposites are needed.
Continuum Knowledge Instead of Opposites
When you understand how to use Continuum Knowledge, you are no longer trapped into always using dualistic opposites. For instance, you no longer think everything is black or white or think with just an “either-or” mentality. You can often plan and prepare just using Continuum Knowledge and so focus on the positive and productive.
- Continuum Knowledge, like the duality of opposites, is not suited to everything and every circumstance. Continuum Knowledge is not meant to replace or do away with the duality of opposites.
- Continuum Knowledge provides you with a new tool and a new way of thinking so that you can avoid the many pitfalls and traps of always using a dualism of opposites mindset when such dualism is not necessary or relevant.
#Limitation #Dichotomy: 2020-04-10
1. The seductive power of the opposites blinds us to the concomitant realities that exist side by side with our dualities no matter how overarching we imagine our dualities to be, for example, integral versus non-integral wipes out everything else.
2. The “subject and object” view of life is correct; however, this view does not include the greater part of life, which cannot fit into the categories of subject and object.
3. The war of the rational versus the irrational is a false war because both positions require their opposite to exist (symbiosis) while simultaneously leaving out other viable systems of inquiry.
4. The war of order versus chaos is a false war because both require the other (synergy) while simultaneously leaving out the impact of other forces that are ignored or unrecognized, such as creativity and virtue.
5. People reject dualities that they do not like and embrace dualities that they do like; however, there are higher levels of thinking such as trialities, the five thinking positions (5TP), continuum thinking, and continuum-thinking squared.
#Duality #Triality: 2020-04-17
1. Duality is a delusion because every duality exists inside a triality.
2. Duality is misleading because it ignores the necessary neutral position that exists along with every set of opposites.
3. Duality leads to false conflicts because it fails to recognize the middle ground that triality makes self-evident.
4. Duality is not needed for comparisons because comparisons can be made between both related and similar things.
5. Duality leads to false choices and options because it fails to recognize the array of choices and options that exist in-between the opposites that make up a duality.
#Magic #Question: 2020-05-05
1. The magic question is, “What is the neutral position?”
2. This question is magical because it moves you out of duality and into triality, where conflicts and problems take on a new light.
3. The magic move is to take the neutral position while supporting the positive position.
4. The magic move is to stay in the neutral position while feeding the positive position.
5. This move is magical because it keeps you out of the conflict while also allowing you to support the solution.
For much more on continuums, duality, triality, the Five Thinking Positions, the nature of thinking, the nature of reasoning—read:
For much more on the 5 Thinking positions—read: