Follow 3 Duties to Keep Real & Sane
- Ego will help you to recognize, remove, and replace your ego: a.k.a. self-esteem.
“To be poured into without becoming full, and to pour out without becoming empty, without knowing how this is brought about–this is the case of ‘Containing the Light’.” —Chung Tzu
Note: The duties are prioritized because you must complete one before the other.
FIRST DUTY: BE YOURSELF
- Be your inner space and place.
- Identify yourself as the function of hosting.
- Be the container containing your inner world.
SECOND DUTY: LET IT BE
- Do not interfere with the contents of your inner world.
- Accept everything that comes into your host.
- Allow perfect freedom of hosting by letting everything be.
THIRD DUTY: TRUST IN THE LORD
- Have faith God will handle all that you host.
- Trust in the Light to drive out the evil and to strengthen the good.
- Wait on God to work on the contents of your inner world.
1. ALTERNATIVE VIEW OF 3 DUTIES: RETURN, NON-DOING, REST
- The first duty can be understood as returning to your original nature.
- The second duty can be understood as non-doing regarding your inner world.
- The third duty can be understood as resting in God while He does the work on your inner world.
2. ALTERNATIVE VIEW OF 3 DUTIES: HOST, OPEN, HOPE
- Your job is to host. Do your job.
- Your job is not to decide what to host but to be open to whatever. Do not try to do someone else’s job.
- Your job is to hope God will take care of what you should and should not be hosting.
3. ALTERNATIVE VIEW OF 3 DUTIES: EMPTY, FREE, TRUST
- Your job is to be aware of self as the internal empty vessel.
- Allow freedom for the mind by not interfering with it and by giving permission for all visitors.
- Trust God to take care of all visitors to your heart, soul, and mind.
4. ALTERNATIVE VIEW OF 3 DUTIES: REFLECTOR, REFLECTION, PROCESS
- Be the reflector: self.
- Trust the light to handle what comes for reflection, but understand that what comes can come from either light or darkness.
- Trust the light to process both good and bad reflections as they unfold so that the good is magnified and the evil is dispelled.
Some More Rules
- You cannot give up identifying with the content of your mind if you want to be right, claim to know, or to think that you are superior to others.
- You cannot turn the content of your mind over to God if you are identified with that content.
- You cannot trust and rely upon God to handle the content of your mind if you are still interfering with that content.
- You cannot do duty or step (2) if you have not done step (1).
- You cannot do duty or step (3) if you have not done step (2).
Note: These comparisons are brief and incomplete. By stating that some process focuses on one duty, these comparisons should not be understood to thereby mean that, that process does not deal at all with one or both of the other two duties.
- Practices that focus on self-actualization or a return to your original nature, sometimes focus on duty #1 by focusing on your right identity as a child or a vessel.
- Coping practices, counseling practices, and practical philosophies often focus on duty #2 through a focus on the acceptance of self, others, and life.
- Buddhism and other Eastern philosophies and practices often focus on duty #2 through teaching and practicing non-interference with your mental world.
- Alcoholics Anonymous’s 12 Step program of recovery focuses on duty #3 through surrender to a Higher Power.
- Taoism focuses on all three duties by focusing on a return to your original nature, acceptance of life, and surrender to the way of life.
- Christianity (if it can be found) focuses on all three duties by focusing on a return to your original nature and your new nature, turning your internal struggles over to God, and having faith in God to take care of you and your life.
Accepting whatever comes into your heart, soul, and mind is only part of the second step. You must also trust that God will provide what you need to overcome, replace, or switch from the bad or negative.
Yes, the negative and ugly will present itself; however, you must believe that God will provide the positive, beautiful, and true that you need.
The timing of receiving the good is not known and can even be delayed until the next life. Have faith that God will provide and bring what you need like the good father that He is.
Either you will be provided with a way out of the garbage that enters and wants to control, or you will be given a positive resource to deal with it. If you cannot stay detached from thoughts, and true to your actual self as in step one above, then you will be provided with an escape so that you can let the garbage pass without it hurting you or getting you to agree to sin.
- Ego Issues: 5 Functions & Parts of Self
- Ego Issues: Be Container, Not Contents
- Ego Issues: List of Pages
- Self-Esteem Issues: List of Pages
- Self-Nature Issues: Find Your Host Nature
- Self-Esteem Issues: List of Pages
- Self-Nature Issues: Nature of Ego Pain & Pleasure