Questions to Ask Yourself to Improve Your Life
- Garden will teach you an easy and effective system of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT & REBT).
7 QUESTIONS TO MOVE INTO ACTION
1. What do I think about that (an event, problem, or situation)?
2. How does thinking that way lead me to feel?
3. Feeling that way–what do I want?
4. If what I want is not to feel that way, then am I willing to change my thinking to change my feeling?
- Or am I stuck because I need the bad feeling or pain to or for:
act out, avoid, claim to know better, demand, ego satisfaction, emotional blackmail, escape, feel superior, get rescued, hide behind a mask, hide behind phoniness, keep drama going, keep power over others, maintain pride, manipulate, motivate revenge, pride, procrastinate, quit, sell out, stay slippery, stay lazy, sympathy, or some other payoff?
- Or am I stuck because I am so identified with the feeling, pain, or problem that I’ll lose my identity or sense of self if I surrender it?
5. What do I do about the way I feel?
- What am I sacrificing to do that? Is doing it worth the sacrifice?
6. If feeling that way is healthy for me, then what work am I willing to do to get what I want?
- Will I problem-solve and work on a solution or just lazily whine, blame, and damn?
7. What will I do to cope if work won’t get me what I want?
- Will I accept it peacefully or whine, blame, and damn until I make it worse and get myself more problems and conflicts?