Yoga Class for Coping, Recovery, Relaxation, & Health
- Stress for Success, Second Edition for $3.99 will teach you how to make stress work for you.
“Acceptance is the very essence of the Tao.” —Huahujing
“Go for the best alignment, not the best pose.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
“Yoga is prayer for me.” —Kevin Everett FitzMaurice
Generic Outline for Building a Yoga Class
- You can use this class outline for building your class using the examples below, your own experiences and yoga training, and YouTube videos from professional and talented yogis.
- I recommend this program in India (The Yoga Institute) for getting your teacher‘s certification. I completed mine there and appreciated the focus on the ancient texts of yoga.
- See our page Yoga Practice Points for more information about how to approach and practice Yoga.
10 Phase Yoga Class
- Sitting Warm-ups
- Standing Warm-ups
- Sun Salutation
- Standing Stretches
- Standing Balances
- Sitting Stretches
- Sitting Twists
- Stomach Stretches
- Back Stretches
Phase 1 Example: Sitting Warm-ups
- Start in easy pose or lotus pose.
- Consider adding hands overhead for a transition pose in-between poses.
- Sequence: Do each 3 times and then reverse.
A: Prāṇāyāma: alternate nostril breathing (Nadi Shodhana Pranayama). This is to prepare for the yoga class.
B: Shoulders up, forward, down, backward (shoulder shrugs).
C: Straight arms parallel to ground, then forward, middle, and back (optional lift on backward).
E: Right hand on left knee and left hand behind the back for support then twist right.
F: Side bend. Right arm up and over with left hand pushing on the opposite knee.
G: Same as C above only now you round forward all the way to the ground.
H: Neck bend with left hand on the right ear and right hand pushing on the opposite knee.
I: This is similar to C above, but with hands behind neck and elbows close forward, wide middle, and close backward.
J: Class desired or requested seated warm-ups time permitting.
Phase 2 Example: Standing Warm-ups
- Start in mountain pose.
- Sequence: Do each 3 times and then reverse.
A: Neck rotation in big circles.
B: Neck is moved center, left, center, right, center, up, and center, down.
C: Shoulder Shrugs up, forward, down, backward, etc.
D: Pelvis small circles then hip big circles.
E: Thumbs up eyes back and forth between thumbs. One hand is near an armpit, and the other arm is fully extended at about forty-five degrees from the body.
F: Eyes rapid, then slow blinking. Pick a fixed object that is not close but that you can see clearly.
G: Eyes up, middle, down, left, right, stopping at each position. The neck does not move, just the eyes.
H: Eyes positions on a large imaginary compass. Mark out all four positions by blinking each spot.
I: Side bend, holding wrist overhead. The right-hand holds the left wrist and pulls to the right side. Keep feet and hips flat.
J: Twirl left and right ankles toenails up and then with toenails down on the ground.
K: Right hand on the left wrist, then bend right. Arms fully extended. This is a wrist stretch.
L: Right elbow overhead push down. Archer’s arms stretch.
M: Class desired or requested standing warm-ups time permitting.
Phase 3 Example: Sun Salutation
- Start in mountain pose with hands to heart.
A: Hands overhead and tilt backward.
B: Forward fold or Uttanasana (hold).
C: Halfway lift or Ardha Uttanasana (hold).
D: Right foot back with toes tucked (hold).
E: Left foot back.
F: Plank pose or Kumbhakasana (hold).
G: Knees, chest, chin down, hips up or take a Chaturanga.
H: Slide forward.
I: Cobra or upward-facing dog pose.
J: Plank pose (hold).
K: Downward-facing dog (take 3 breaths).
L: Right foot forward or high lunge (hold).
M: Left foot forward.
N: Forward fold (hold).
O: Halfway lift (hold).
P: Mountain pose or Tadasana.
Q: Hands overhead and tilt backward.
R: Hands to heart, Anjali Mudra, or prayer hands.
- Same as above only switch feet. “D” becomes “left foot back.” Etc.
- One sun salutation consists of both “D” positions, both left and right.
- Four sun salutations are usually enough for one class.
- Free downloadable pdf file for Phase 3.
Phase 4 Example: Standing Stretches
- Start in star pose (utthita tadasana) for transition in-between each set and pose.
A: Warrior 2 both sides.
B: Side Angle both sides.
C: Exalted Warrior both sides.
D: Humble Warrior both sides.
E: Triangle both sides.
F: Warrior 1 on both sides.
G: Wide stance into a side bend.
H: Hands to center and then to each ankle.
I: Wide halfway lift.
J: Hands to center then arm to the sky.
K: Wide downward dog (hands to the floor).
L: Hands on hips rise with a straight back.
M: Goddess Pose in moving circles.
N: Goddess Pose (6) with the tiger breath (Vyaghrah Pranayama).
O: Gorilla Pose (hands under toes).
P: Reverse Gorilla Pose (hands under heals).
Q: Class desired or requested standing stretches time permitting.
Phase 5 Example: Standing Balances
- Start in mountain pose. Reverse and do the other side.
A: Tree Pose (Vrksasana).
B: Standing Half Lotus (Padmasana).
C: Dancer’s Pose (Natarajasana).
D: Warrior 3 Pose (Virabhadrasana 3).
E: Half Moon Pose (Ardha Chandrasana).
F: Knee or leg straight forward & side (Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana).
G: Eagle Pose (Garudasana).
H: Squat Pose (Malasana).
I: Crow’s Pose (Bakasana).
J: Class desired or requested standing balances time permitting.
Phases 6 & 7 Example: Seated Stretches & Twists
- Three repetitions. Reverse and do both sides or directions.
A: Staff Pose (Dandasana).
B: Seated bend (Paschimottanasana).
C: Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana).
D: Butterfly Pose (Baddha Konasana).
E: Feet wide: forward bend & back lift.
F: Right leg wide, left foot thigh, bend.
G: Joy Pose backbend in the above pose.
H: Cow Face (Gomukhasana) & archer’s arms (Viparita Virabhadrasana).
I: Seated side twist (Matsyendrasana).
J: Camel Pose (Ustrasana).
K: Rabbit Pose (Sasangasana).
L: Class desired or requested seated stretches time permitting.
Phase 8 Example: Stomach Stretches
- Start in Table Top Pose. Reverse & do both sides. 3x or more.
A: Cat (Marjaiasana) & Cow (Bitilasana). Experiment using a wide circular motion.
B: Downward-facing Dog Pose (setup for next pose).
C: Pigeon Pose (Pada Rajakapotasana).
D: Tabletop Pose (Bharmanasana).
E: Needle Pose (Parsva Balasana).
F: Downward-facing Dog Pose (setup for next pose).
G: Lizard Pose (Utthan Pristhasana).
H: Downward-facing Dog Pose (setup for next pose).
I: Stomach flying (lying down raised limbs).
J: Bow Pose (Dhanurasana).
K: Class desired or requested stomach stretches time permitting.
Phases 9-10 Example: Back Stretches
- Start in star pose on back. Perform both sides when appropriate.
A: Knees to Chest: side rock and roll.
B: Knees to Chest: front rock and roll.
C: Supine windshield wiper (Supta Sucriandhrasana).
D: Supine twist & stretch (foot to fingers).
E: Figure Four stretch.
F: Bridge (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana) or Wheel.
G: Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana) or another Inversion.
H: Happy Baby Pose (Ananda Balasana).
I: Diamond Pose (relax under stress for two minutes).
J: Savasana, Star Pose, Corpse Pose. (Consider combining with a full body scan and a breathing exercise like Mind-Moving.)
K: Long body stretch of arms & legs.
L: Knees to chest & roll to the fetal position.
M: A seated position of your choice.
N: Close with Aum and Namaste.
O: Optional meditation time.
- Resource for Health Questions: External Link
- Resource for Yoga Poses: External Link
- Resource for Yoga Poses for Back Pain: External Link
- Resource for Yoga Poses for Constipation: External Link
- 5 Keys to Right Meditation
- 5 Step Solution to Self-Esteem
- Attitude Control & Attitude Power
- Choose Higher when Tempted by Lower
- Focus on 3 Truths for Right Identity
- J. Krishnamurti: List of External Links
- Meditation Simplified
- Practice Right Meditation
- Serenity Prayer
- Temptation: A Strategy to Overcome
- Three Kinds of Meditation
- Yoga Practice Points
- Yoga: What Is It?